Monday, July 24, 2006

The Namesake-My 2 Cents

I hope it's not too late to comment, but I finally finished! I was up 'til 2am this morning reading the last 100 pages or so. Although I didn't mind reading it, it was a bit slow in some parts. However, Lahari aged the characters really quickly. I also agree that it read like a short story, but I didn't feel like the important characters were underdeveloped, except for Sonia. I appreciated the final chapter, when Ashima and Gogal were able to stand in each other's shoes and realize what their cultures meant to each other. For most of the book I disliked Gogal because he separated himself from his family and seemed selfish. I respected him in the end when he came to understand his mother. I disliked Ashima for most of the book because it seemed she didn't really try to embrace the American culture and wasted most of her life longing for India instead of making the most of it. I had more respect for her after she was able to live and work independently and make American friends. I enjoyed reading about Maxine's family, as I could really relate to them: they love to eat good food and drink good wine, Lydia loves cooking, they're cultured, ect. Maxine seemed a bit shallow, just a bit aloof.

I feel satisfied that I have finished this book, although it wasn't something I couldn't wait to get back in to. It's not something I would have pulled from the shelf, had I not been a part of this group, so thanks for the recommendation!

I went to the library today and picked up The Time Traveler's Wife and French Women Don't Get Fat. Danish Girl was at another branch, so I put in a request for it. I'll probably give it a try, and if I don't like it, I can always put it down. In the mean time, I can't wait to dive into these other books. Happy Reading!

1 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

I was frustrated with both Ashima and and Gogol for those exact same reasons, but I was glad that their characters did eventually grow beyond those shortcomings.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home